Skip to main content

WW2 French in North Africa (1)

 

Sons of the Desert...

My butterfly mind recently got bored with what I was doing (Napoleonic Russians to play against my Swedes) and wondered whether there was a project I could do fairly quickly all in one go.

So my good friend Richard generously gave me a bunch of figures last Xmas, and knowing my penchant for all things French he got me some Artizan figures from Nick at North Star. These are mostly French Foreign Legion (Legion Etrangere), but also include some of their Goumier allies too. Enough for a small game probably, so I dug them out and started on the FFL figures.


It probably helps that they are a long way from Napoleonics as far as palette and complexity is concerned! They're lovely figures, very characterful and easy to paint, always a bonus for me, and the results are quite pleasing, given my limited artistic skills.

The first dozen represent the legionnaires of the first three small sections. Richard has some Italians for this period, so we will probably get a game together later in the summer. Under Bolt Action the legionnaires are veteran and pretty tough, so small sections are still expensive, especially if you put them into transport, as I intend to! I'll do one bigger section as well, for more defensive use.

Next up will be some command elements (including NCOs for these sections), an LMG group, and a 25mm gun crew. These will serve double duties, so I can use them either for the dismounted gun, or as crew for the portee version I just happen to have already.

Because another reason for choosing to do this little army is that I already had some vehicles from Mad Bob Miniatures which are appropriate! A while ago he did some lovely Citroen-Kegresse vehicles in a Kickstarter (they're available on his website now), so I've also started on these - a P19 portee, and a P104 APC:

The P104 can only hold five troops, hence the small sections, but I'll also get from him a Berliet VUDB and a Panhard 179 (each of which can hold 7) so I can include an LMG and the command for these troops. And an armoured car for good measure, obviously.

I also have the P19 VLTT staff car from the kickstarter, so that will do for my regimental HQ unit, and I've added a Warlord 'Civilian truck' (actually a Citroen T-45) for the larger section. All the vehicles are WIP, so more pics when I've finished them.

And those Goumier I mentioned earlier? Well, turns out they had crazy stripey coats, so a quick look around suggests they are more likely to end up being painted as the similarly atired Spahis, who had plain white coats...

So likely a very characterful army, and fighting against the equally quirky Italians of this period it's likely to look a lot more like an 'inter-war' type conflict. We'll start with Bolt Action2, but may move onto Chain of Command instead as time goes by.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WW2 French in North Africa (2)

Just a quick update to show I'm making some progress with this project! Finished the first batch of vehicles, the ones I already had from Mad Bob Miniatures kickstarter, but now available on his website. These are the Citroen-Kegresse P19 portee, and the Citroen-Kegresse P104, a small run experimental design, but just the sort of thing that might turn up still being used out there in the far reaches of the French domains. Also completed are the Citroen-Kegresse P19 VLTT staff car, also from Mad Bob , and the Warlord Citroen truck, painted in suitably desert colours. Warlord have it listed as a 'civilian truck', but the military used a lot of these, properly designated T-45s (I know, I'm going all nerdy now!) The truck will carry the fourth FFL section, which I have yet to paint, and the staff car will be for the overall HQ unit. So, next up, and currently on the painting desk are the LMG and NCOs to go with the first three FFL sections, along with their officer and h

Swedish Napoleonic Army - the most obscure you can get?

 My fascination with the Swedish Napoleonic army goes back to the early 80's with the publication of WJ Rawkin's book on the subject. At the time I thought it was the most obscure thing I had ever come across, but I was also fascinated by how different the illustrations looked from the other uniforms of the time, and I soon determined that eventually I would have a wargames army to represent this proud group of men. I also got the Rawkins book on the Neapolitan army, but although that was also pretty fascinating, they were pretty much chocolate box soldiers and a Prince's plaything, whilst the Swedes has actually fought an entire war against the Russians during this period that I'd also never heard of.  The Swedish - Russian War 1808-9 Actually this is only really obscure to those of us who have been brought up in the English education system, which continues to pretty much ignore the rest of the world, unless we were invading or colonising it. I suppose this is true of

Another little distraction...

  My New Year's resolution this year (and that seems a VERY long time ago now!) was to 'Finish Things', and by inference not get distracted by new and shiny projects. Those of you who know me well will be laughing already, as my list of projects is long, and largely unfinished, hence the resolution... And I had been doing quite well, despite various temptations along the way. When I first heard of 'Never Mind the Billhooks' a few months ago I consoled myself that I already had a lot of 'Wars of the Roses' stuff form way back when, and the worst that could happen would be that I needed to rebase them. NMTB does use an unusual basing system, so when the rules were published I got out my old, largely Foundry, army and started having a look. And I even got some spare castings and painted them up - these are partly Foundry and partly Citadel IIRC... But times have moved on, and the quality of sculpting has moved on, and more importantly I've got a bit better